[Fedora-i18n-list] Unable to input Japanese on stock FC2 intall: Can't add "Input Method Switcher"

Hideki Hiura hiura at openi18n.org
Fri May 28 19:19:52 UTC 2004

> From: David Evans <fedora at fugutabetai.com>
> (Of course, I do have to kill the httx that starts automatically and
> start one up with LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8, but that is fine by me.)

This sounds so strange, right? Yup, this is one of the biggest reasons
that I am trying to put XIM in rest:-). This is the XIM design
limitation. Here is the technical explanation what is happening behind
those locale settings.
A user has to run both appliacations and XIM server in same locale due
to the fact that XIM architecture is bound to the locale from its
pre-connection phase.  (IIIMF does language handshake as a part of core
IIIM protocol, but XIM protocol does not, instead, it uses locale name
to find XIM server...)  So if they are on different locales, they
don't even find each other.

Since httx(htt_xbe) is also bound to XIM limitation, even it uses
IIIM Server as its backend, we can't avoid this problem.

Hope you can get a luck on IIIMJCF(iiimf.jar) so that you don't have
to go through XIM on Java and have same level of multilinguality as
gtk.

Regards,
--
hiura@{freestandards.org,OpenI18N.org,li18nux.org,unicode.org,sun.com}