[Fedora-i18n-list] i18n LANG setting in FC3

Leon Ho llch at redhat.com
Fri Nov 26 02:37:03 UTC 2004

Hi Jamie,

On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 21:23 -1000, Jamie Larsen wrote:
> Two questions:
>
> 1.  When I specify a language setting during logging in, what file or
> files get changed?

FYI. If you set a language by default in gdm. It will update ~/.dmrc.
However it is not recommend to directly modify that file. If you want
user based setting, please deal with ~/.i18n file instead.

> 2.  I have also found out that that when I ran ./i18n, where the
> /etc/sysconfig/i18n file contains a LANG=zh_TW.Big5 entry, I can only
> change the LANG setting in root, but not as a user.  I DO NOT have an
> ~/.i18n file.

What is the command ./i18n that you are running? What package is it
from?

/etc/sysconfig/i18n is for system wide so it is make sense to only can
edit by root.

By default, ~/.i18n does not exist because by default user follows
system wide language settings.

You can create a user based settings if you wanted by:
# cat > ~/.i18n
LANG=zh_TW.UTF-8
[ctrl-D]

Hope it helps,