[Fedora-i18n-list] Subject: mounting compact flash with japanese on filesystem

David Wuertele dave-gnus at bfnet.com
Fri Sep 3 18:25:41 UTC 2004

I put a CF card in my linux-2.6.7 laptop and mounted it.  Then I wrote
some files with japanese filenames onto it, using emacs, and writing
the names in UTF8.  Then I sync'd and unmounted the card.

Next, I put that card into a Japanese windows 2000 system and was able
to read those filenames.  I think what happened was that the
linux-2.6.7 kernel automatically converted the characters to the
proper codepage (cp932 I think) before writing those files to the
card.

Then I used the Japanese windows 2000 system to create some new
directories and files with Japanese names.  Then I ejected the CF, and
brought it back to my linux-2.6.7 system, and I was able to read those
new filenames no problems.

Finally, I tried to mount the CF card on my linux-2.4.18 embedded
system.  Now I have problems:  the filenames written by linux-2.6.7
were visible, but the filenames written by Japanese windows 2000 were
not.  Why is that?

Thanks,
Dave