[Fedora-i18n-list] Kanji recognition

Akira TAGOH tagoh at redhat.com
Fri Feb 25 10:15:25 UTC 2005

MK> Hi all,
MK>    This is my first post so I appologize up front if I fail to follow a
MK> rule (written or otherwise ;) ).

MK>    I have recently started using Japanese input in my programs under
MK> Fedora Core 3 with growing success. What I am looking for now, and I
MK> hope this isn't off topic for this list, is a tool like my roommate has
MK> on her WinXP machine where I can free-draw a kanji character and the
MK> program tries to match it and provide a list of options (and if I am
MK> really lucky has the pronunciation and meaning).

Which tools? you mean something like toolbar and the
properties dialog does?

MK>    As an aside, I have also been trying to find a way to make Japanese
MK> the default input method in iiimf. Gimlet currently defaults to English
MK> but seeing as I can toggle between kana/kanji and romanji with
MK> <ctrl>+<space> I'd rather leave it as Japanese.

I'm not sure if I see what you mean, if you can input any
Japanese after you press ctrl+space, it's the right way to
do.  If you need to do change the language on gimlet for
inputting Japanese and want it by default, you need to set
LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 in /etc/sysconfig/i18n or ~/.i18n.
Japanese will be default after restarting your desktop
session then.

--
Akira TAGOH