[Fedora-i18n-list] keyboard difficulties

John Francis Lee jfmxl at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 2 11:17:41 UTC 2005

> You mean you choose Japanese on gdm, you got the following
> result then?

I thought so, but no.
I do get
LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="ja_JP.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="ja_JP.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="ja_JP.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="ja_JP.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="ja_JP.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="ja_JP.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="ja_JP.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="ja_JP.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="ja_JP.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="ja_JP.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="ja_JP.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="ja_JP.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

> 1) If you can see Japanese translation at the desktop, you
> may have LANG=en_US.UTF-8 stuff somewhere like in .bashrc.

I can. LANG=en_US.UTF-8 is not in .bashrc

> ... what about the result of
> $GDM_LANG? if you choose Japanese from gdm, you should have
> GDM_LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8.

I have
 GDM_LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8

> Assuming that your requrement are to input Japanese at the
> English desktop, right? then you can add Japanese at
> gimlet's Add or Remove Language dialog - try to press the
> left button at gimlet icon and choose Add or Remove item -
> and choose Japanese from language menu on gimlet. icon
> should be changed to Ja.  If you think that changing it from
> gimlet is annoying, you can put LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 into
> $HOME/.i18n instead.

I have gimlet with Japanese and English as choices.
When I choose Japanese I cannot input anything at all.
When I choose English I can input English.

Thanks for your help.

--
John Francis Lee
1/9-10 Thanon Trairat