[Fedora-i18n-list] Japanese input in en_US locale under Java with Fedora Core 4

David Evans dave at fuguTabetai.com
Sun Jun 26 16:06:06 UTC 2005

Hello all,

  I have recently installed Fedora Core 4.  The install went fine, and
after following the directions at
http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/i18n/iiimf-faq.html#R2 (basically doing
ln -s /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/iiimf ~/.xinput.d/en_US) Japanese input
works fine. I do have a problem, however with Java programs. I remember
Akira set me straight a long time ago about running Java programs and
getting Japanese input.  I wrote a script to call the program that I
wanted that basically has these lines:

killall httx
LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 httx &
LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS="@im=htt"
/opt/jdk1.5.0_04/jre/javaws/javaws ...

  Now under a stock Fedora Core 4 install I don't have httx to run anymore:

rpm -q --whatprovides httx
no package provides httx

  I did a yum search for httx and found nothing, then killed my search
for htt after it started to list every package with the match on the
http:// line...

  I thought that perhaps the library iiimf-x would provide htt, and it
is installed, but I can't find the htt executable anywhere.

  Do I not have some needed package installed?  It could also be that
Java 1.5.0_04 is working with IIIMF - I tried doing input and it looked
like it worked, but I ended up with rectangular boxes.  This is a
problem with the fonts that I'll work on next.  If that is the case,
sorry for the wasted message!

dave