[Fedora-i18n-list] Fedora 3 and jdk font and input support

David Evans dave at fuguTabetai.com
Mon Oct 31 01:06:45 UTC 2005

Hi Ken,

  I am currently running Fedora Core 4 and use Java (jdk 1.5 from Sun)
frequently with Japanese.  I had the same setup running under Fedora
Core 3, and didn't have any problems.  I did have to edit the
font.properties file to make Java pick a nice Japanese font for display,
but it seems like I've had to do that for every OS that try to get
Japanese and Java working on.

  When I start my Java programs I need to start them with:

LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS="@im=htt" java ....

  in order to activate the henkan engine.  I don't think there is any
way around that.  I also have to ensure that "iiimx" is running, which
is the htt IIIM bridge.  For the one Java program that I need to accept
Japanese input, I wrote a little script that does this:

killall iiimx
LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 iiimx &
LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS="@im=htt"
/opt/jdk1.5.0_04/jre/javaws/javaws
/home/devans/.java/deployment/cache/javaws/http/Dfugutabetai.com/P80/DMsoftware/DMGMAO/DMcode/DMbug/AMGMAO.jnlp
&

  to get everything running.

  Hope that helps.  I know I asked about Java and Japanese input maybe a
year or two back.  I haven't looked into it after that since I have been
able to make do with this.

dave