[Fedora-i18n-list] Urdu Fonts and Keyboard layout

Nicolas Mailhot nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net
Wed Aug 2 09:15:35 UTC 2006

Le Mer 2 août 2006 09:05, Tahir Abdul Rauf Butt a écrit :

> I am using the keyboard layout that is downloaded from CRULP website, and
> also the fonts from the same web site, but if you want more fonts, I can
> send them to you.
>
>   http://www.crulp.org/linuxphonetickb.html

Actually from the point of view of Fedora, if we want to be urdu-friendly
external resources are a total no-go. So :

1. are the keyboard layouts included with Fedora useable with urdu? If the
answer is no working layouts need to be submitted at
- https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=xkeyboard-config
(xkeyboard-config, GUI) and
- aeb at cwi.nl (kbd, CLI)

2. are the fonts included in Fedora Core or Extras suitable for urdu? If
the answer is no new fonts with a suitable license need to be packaged.
But it is much better for everyone involved if existing fonts can be used
or adapted (in urdu's case dejavu probably either already covers the
corresponding unicode block or you should work with the project to get
your glyphs created/included :
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=DejaVu or

I realise this is all much more work than just dumping some files in a web
site somewhere and hope users will find them, but actual distribution
localization requires localization resources to be distributed in the
distribution itself. And since Fedora has an upstream motto, that means
getting the ressources included in the various upstream projects Fedora
distributes.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Mailhot