[Fedora-i18n-list] Numeric values

Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel ankit at redhat.com
Fri Jul 28 08:04:16 UTC 2006

Florian Festi wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am currently working on the i18n of the foomatic printer database.
> Messages that need to be translated are printer/printing option names
> and values. These often contain numerical values like "600 DPI", "256 MB
> Memory extention", "Tray 4", "1.125x3.5in, 28x89mm", "-30°" and so on.
>
> To reduce to number of messages I'd like to merge string that only
> differ by the numeric values to some thing like "%s DPI", "Tray %s",
> "%sx%sin. %sx%smm".
>
> Are there any special issues I have to take care of. Do numbers need to
> be translated into something else than [0-9]* in some languages and if
> so is this done automatically by sprintf if LC_NUMERIC is set?
>
> Thanks for your help
>

> 	Florian Festi
>
> --

Hi,

Regarding the messages about which you are not sure what to do with
them, i suggest you to extract all the messages as it is. And leave
those messages up to translators as they better understand their
language, and they can decide better what to write for particular message.

If you don't would like to give those messages for translation and would
like keep them in English then don't extract those messages, otherwise
there is no way AFAIK to reduce the number of messages.

Leaving the decision on translator is a better choice i would suggest
you rather than doing automation using LC_NUMERIC or anything else...

Let me know, if you need any more clarification...

Thanks,

--
Ankit Patel