Questionnaire in Japanese Fedora Community

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Fri Aug 10 01:51:20 UTC 2007

Hi Dairiki-san,

Sorry for late followup.

Ryo Dairiki さんは書きました:
> Following to my previous post, I've asked some questions in Japanese
> Fedora community, and I've got some replying from some members there. :)

Thanks!

> - TeX related issues
> Previously they have been using pTeX from Ascii (Japanese IT company).
> They want to continue using it mainly because of the macros which are
> not supported in TeXLive.

Ok, I think there should be no problem in principle with adding pTeX
packages to fedora - of course there may be some conflicts with the
current main TeX that need to be resolved, etc.  I don't remember the
details of the license, but according to the debian packages it looks
ok.  Of course someone would need to do the work to package it,
contribute it and get it through the review process.

Are there any packages in circulation?

> - Anthy related issues
> They are suffered from typical miscompositions. We need another
> infrastructure for collecting these data.

Does upstream have any plans or ideas about that?

> - Japanese bugzilla
> Some people agree that it helps Japanese to post bug reports,
> but others think that problem is not language barrier.
> They insist that Japanese users don't aware the importance of
> contributions. :(

Sounds quite likely, I agree.

> Some people are now trying to build another Fedora community in Japanese.

Do you have any details about that?

I think it would be good to have more people helping to write the Fedora
wiki in Japanese: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/ja_JP

> One person requested to fix some Japanese programs which still use
> EUC-JP instead of UTF8.

If bugs could be filed that would be useful.  It might not be a high
priority but maybe some easier issues could be fixed.

Jens