installing more fonts by default for better international coverage

Qianqian Fang fangq at nmr.mgh.harvard.edu
Wed Aug 22 06:04:15 UTC 2007

by the way, I forget to introduce myself and my project - the
WenQuanYi project (http://wqy.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/enindex.cgi).

I started the WenQuanYi project in 2004 for making better fonts for Chinese,
Japanese and Korean users. It is now becoming arguably the largest
collaborative open-source font development project. In the past 3 years,
we have completed drawing over 40,000 Chinese bitmap glyphs from
scratch and improved 30,000~40,000 existing Chinese glyphs.
Now we have full coverage of CJK Unified Ideographics (U4E00-U9FA5,
20,902 char.) and CJK Unified Ideographics Extension A (U3400~U4DB5,
6,582 characters) at 8,9,10,11,12,14pt, for on-screen display of Chinese
characters.

Parallel to the work of Arne Götje's team, who led the efforts of
building new
fonts based on Arphic Ming/Kai fonts, we also spend lots of of our time
for outline font development. Our first outline font, the ZenHei is
now in testing. This font has complete coverage of zh_* locales, ko locale,
and is about 100 characters away for full ja coverage.

There has been thousands of volunteers participated our font
development via our wiki website. I think it is quite meaningful
to put forth these works and make real impact to high-quality
international support for Linux community. I am also glad to be
involved for continuously improving these works together
with our developer teams and share with you our passion and
creativities.