[Fedora-i18n-list] Re: naming scheme for fonts packages?

Abel Cheung abelcheung at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 08:48:20 UTC 2007

On 3/1/07, Jens Petersen <petersen at redhat.com> wrote:

> Well the prospect of good free fonts with really wide unicode glyph
> coverage is not something that is going to happen anytime soon I'm
> afraid.  Having lived 12 years in Japan my perspective is probably a bit
> different from many Fedora developers.  We really really need those
> fonts-* packages for Asian languages and scripts.  :)  And as a
> data-point the big desktop OSs also ship lots of separate fonts for them
> AFAIK.

Almost an offtopic sidenote: when it was decided in Ubuntu that python
development packages should be bundled into CD instead of scim
as well as some fonts for Asian languages, some helpers immediately
considered devoting less time on Ubuntu.

Abel

> > To be honest I'm not too fond of foo-font packages.
>
> Sorry, did you mean "fonts-*"?
>
> > They're a necessary 8-bit legacy stopgap, but I'd rather have vibrant font projects competing
> > on quality and international coverage. You don't get that if you bundle
> > different upstreams in neutraly named packages. (the fact that FC was more
> > fonts-foo and FE foo-fonts reflects a rather utilitarian view of fonts
> > RH-side, and the huge weight of the fossilized fonts sourced from
> > xfree86/xorg)
>
> I agree with you for fonts for Western languages for which it is
> possible to have reasonable coverage with limited resources.
>
> > IMHO (which if worth what it's worth) you're not packaging generic fonts
> > for tibetan but a specific font project, and it deserves name recognition
> > just like any other upstream. So upstreamname-fonts seems more respectful
> > for me. Also have you though of what will happen should someone want to
> > package another tibetan font in a few months ?
>
> Well in the review we are actually now discussing putting two GPL
> Tibetan fonts in the same package if it is going by the generic language
> name.
>
> Jens
>
> --

Abel Cheung   (GPG Key: 0xC67186FF)
Key fingerprint: 671C C7AE EFB5 110C D6D1  41EE 4152 E1F1 C671 86FF