F9 Feature planning meeting

Ville-Pekka Vainio vpivaini at cs.helsinki.fi
Tue Nov 20 09:23:12 UTC 2007

Jens Petersen kirjoitti:
> Some of the current possible features we are considering include:
>
> - Handwriting recognition for Chinese characters
> - IM Desktop integration
> - Fonts
>    - Thai fonts and support
>    - new default Japanese font: VLGothic-fonts
>    - additional fonts for current languages
>
> Other suggestions and proposals are most welcome.
>
> Jens

I'm somewhat new on this list and I'm not sure if this belongs to the I18N
project, but I've been doing some packaging to include a free Finnish
spellchecker and hyphenator Voikko [1] to the Fedora packages.

Currently Voikko itself (the package libvoikko) and it's dependencies (malaga
[2] and malaga-suomi-voikko) have been packaged, they'll probably hit the
stable repositories of F-7 and F-8 in about a week or so.

There are a some parts of the Voikko project that I haven't packaged yet:
Tmispell-voikko is a wrapper around ispell to use Voikko in ispell-compatible
programs, it also has an enchant component. OpenOffice.org-voikko is an
OpenOffice extension to support Finnish spellchecking and hyphenation through
Voikko in OO.o.

Currently I'm a bit busy with other things, but my goal is to get all these
components packaged for F-9. What do you think, could "Free Finnish
spellchecking and hyphenation" be an I18N feature for F-9?

[1] http://voikko.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://home.arcor.de/bjoern-beutel/malaga/

--
Ville-Pekka Vainio