problems with diacritic characters in fedora8

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 21:15:57 UTC 2008

hi,

since fedora8 I have an awkward problem. In an xterm or console
session all diacritic characters appear like this:

http://www.asenjo.nl/Screenshot-xterm.png

that is, they are replaced by blanks. In other applications like
openoffice this is not a problem.

it is awkward because I am used to using console programs like mutt
for my email, so this is something that I come across really often.

System settings: language is English; the output of locale is:

LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
LC_TIME="en_US"
LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY="en_US"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
LC_PAPER="en_US"
LC_NAME="en_US"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
LC_ALL=

I have changed the system locale to Spanish (Spain) but it does not
help (I rebooted the system for the changes to take place).

Does anybody know where I could fix this? This has worked perfectly in
fedora6 and fedora7, so I am a bit puzzled.

--
Groeten,
J.Asenjo