problems with diacritic characters in fedora8

Natxo Asenjo natxo.asenjo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 05:53:19 UTC 2008

On Jan 21, 2008 1:32 AM, Jens Petersen <petersen at redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi Natxo Asenjo,
>
> > since fedora8 I have an awkward problem. In an xterm or console
> > session all diacritic characters appear like this:
> > http://www.asenjo.nl/Screenshot-xterm.png
> > that is, they are replaced by blanks. In other applications like
> > openoffice this is not a problem.
>
> Sorry the screenshot doesn't help me much since I can't read Spanish -
> so I am not sure where the blanks are appearing...

ok, fair enough:

I try to see words like (now I copy paste from openoffice):

Iňaki, espaňol, camión

and what I see is:

I aki, espa ol, cami n

> > it is awkward because I am used to using console programs like mutt
> > for my email, so this is something that I come across really often.
>
> > LC_CTYPE="en_US"
> > LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
> > LC_TIME="en_US"
> > LC_COLLATE="en_US"
> > LC_MONETARY="en_US"
> > LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
> > LC_PAPER="en_US"
> > LC_NAME="en_US"
> > LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
> > LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
> > LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
> > LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
>
> Are you intentionally not using UTF-8?

not that I know of. I use the tool in system->administration->
language and choose English (USA); I do not see English utf-8 in there
to change the locale; could you tell me where I can do that?

> > I have changed the system locale to Spanish (Spain) but it does not
> > help (I rebooted the system for the changes to take place).
>
> Ok.
>
> > Does anybody know where I could fix this? This has worked perfectly in
> > fedora6 and fedora7, so I am a bit puzzled.
>
> So is it just a display problem in terms?

yes, it is just a display problem in terminals (but an annoying one
for me ;-) ).
--
Groeten,
J.Asenjo