problems with diacritic characters in fedora8

Jens Petersen petersen at redhat.com
Tue Jan 22 01:26:51 UTC 2008

Hi Natxo Asenjo,
>>> it is awkward because I am used to using console programs like mutt
>>> for my email, so this is something that I come across really often.
>>> LC_CTYPE="en_US"
>>> LC_NUMERIC="en_US"
>>> LC_TIME="en_US"
>>> LC_COLLATE="en_US"
>>> LC_MONETARY="en_US"
>>> LC_MESSAGES="en_US"
>>> LC_PAPER="en_US"
>>> LC_NAME="en_US"
>>> LC_ADDRESS="en_US"
>>> LC_TELEPHONE="en_US"
>>> LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US"
>>> LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US"
>> Are you intentionally not using UTF-8?
>
> not that I know of.

Sounds like you are somehow overriding the locale in your user
configuration.  Perhaps you have a ~/.i18n file or set locale in your
shell or desktop startup files?

 > I use the tool in system->administration->
 > language and choose English (USA);

That just sets the system locale, which seems to be ok from what you say.

Jens