Clarification on the terminology for input...

Ankitkumar Rameshchandra Patel ankit at redhat.com
Fri May 29 07:43:17 UTC 2009

Jens Petersen wrote:
>> 1. What do you call iBus, or SCIM or IIIMF?
>> A) Input Method
>> B) Input System
>> C) Input Engine
>> D) Input Method Engine
>> E) or something else
>>

> I guess I call it an input method system.
>

>> 2. What do you call im-chooser?
>>

> Well I think it is an input method configuration tool.
>

>> 3. What do you call Phonetic, Inscript, iTrans, Anthy, etc?
>> A) Keyboard Map
>> B) Keyboard Layout
>> C) or something else
>>

> Well for the Indic maps I would call them input maps (for the m17n engine).
> Anthy is an input method engine (IME).
>

>> If we can standardize these
>> terminologies first and document it somewhere on the fedora i18n
>> pages,
>> there would be ease of communication while discussing the i18n input
>> issues.
>>

> Yes it would be good to document on the wiki.
>
> I added some initial text on https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/I18N/InputMethods#Terminology
> Maybe others can review and offer comments and clarification.
>
> Thanks for your questions.

Thanks for clarifying my queries and documenting the Input Method
Terminology on the wiki. I have edited and modified some bits there.
Please have a look at them.

One thing is not yet very much clear to me yet is, difference between
"Input Method Map" and "Input Method Table". Could you please try to
explain it a bit more in detail.

Thanks again Jens! :)

--
Regards,