Finding Indian mirrors for Fedora

Saurabh Jain (सौरभ जैन) saurabh.jain at gmail.com
Thu Nov 1 18:17:43 UTC 2007

Hi folks

My first post on this list. Wanted to add to one of the topics in the archives.

IIT Madras has maintained a public mirror of Fedora for a long time.
It's not very up-to-date, but it's got ISOs, and usually gives good
throughput.

ftp://ftp.iitm.ac.in/fedora/

Mirroring Fedora is very easy, and I think we need to promote the
concept of local mirrors in colleges and organisations. I maintain one
at home on ftp://home.saurabh.org.in/, and using reposync, it is a
piece of cake to schedule a daily cron job to synchronise. Gone are
the days when one had to rsync to download.fedora.redhat.com.

It would be great if a large Linux mirror is hosted in India at NIXI.
Charges are stiff http://nixi.in/fee.php, but donations can be raised.
I know people who know people at NIXI, so I should probably take the
initiative of going and meeting them once. Another interesting option
is to host India-specific ISO torrents, though the efficacy of that is
debatable.

Happy to see a Fedora India list. Easier to join a list than to get
PGP signatures and join the Fedora Project wiki.

Cheers!
Saurabh

--
http://saurabh.org.in