Finding Indian mirrors for Fedora

Debarshi 'Rishi' Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 05:30:08 UTC 2007

> Usually educational institutions are good choices so if you are a
> college student, do ask your management about this. A pitch on the
> viability of learning with open code might work.

We are building a Fedora mirror in NIT Hamirpur
(http://fedora.glug-nith.org/), but I do not think that we have enough
bandwidth to become an official mirror. The institute has a 10 Mbps (=
2 + 8) leased line, and they plan to reserve 1Mbps for the server
hosting the mirror in the near future. A bit of haggling can even
extend it to 2 Mbps, but that is a far cry from the official
requirement.

Similar is the story of WBUT in West Bengal.

The issue is not with hardware (the NIT Hamirpur mirror runs on a
quad-core PPC64 server with 7.5GB RAM), but with bandwidth.

Regards,
Debarshi