Finding Indian mirrors for Fedora

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at Dell.com
Wed Sep 26 13:46:23 UTC 2007

On Wed, Sep 26, 2007 at 06:50:07AM +0530, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay wrote:

> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>
> > Usually educational institutions are good choices so if you are a
> > college student, do ask your management about this. A pitch on the
> > viability of learning with open code might work. Corporates might be
> > interested in being sponsors in exchange for a banner or something like
> > that.
>
> The two factors that would require some thinking are:
>
> * lack of disk space for the mirror
> * lack of bandwidth and hence the reluctance to throw it open
>
> I know that IIT-BOM has a mirror, WBUT has, IIT-KGP has one, even there
> are institutes around DEL who run their mirrors, but they are not public
> due to one of the above factors

Private mirrors may list themselves as private in the MirrorManager
database, meaning they won't show up on the public user list.  Then at
least we know they exist.  In addition, they can add a list of IP
network blocks that they wish to serve into the MM database.  This
will cause their users in those netblocks to be automaticly directed
to their local private mirror - no config changes on the user's system
is then required.

If someone wants to do this, they must also run the report_mirror
script on their mirror server, to inform the MM database about which
content they're carrying.  This way users only get directed to the
mirror for content that is actually mirrored, and to other mirrors for
content not avaialble locally.

Thanks,
Matt
Fedora Mirror Wrangler