[fedora-india] Fedora Indian Language remixes

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Dec 13 09:56:09 UTC 2008

shantanu choudhary wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have also worked on creating Fedora 8 and 9 local language
> distribution using kickstart files.I used them with Fedora DVD only,
> cause i was told that we don't have option of installing system using
> liveCD(pardon me if i am wrong,will try to confirm it on my personal
> account asap), and i was targeting installable media.

Live CD have been installable to hard disk from Fedora 7 onwards. Should
be quite clear from

http://get.fedoraproject.org

> Here is the list of packages i was targeting:
>
>     * Gnome desktop environment.
>     * OpenOffice.
>     * Scribus.
>     * GIMP.
>     * scim with local language support(.
>     * mozilla-firefox.
>     * pidgin.
>
> Please don't take this list of packages as point of discussion, it was
> just my personal prefrence. So in case we can install using liveCD, and
> can have these packages in CD, i would be happy to volunteer for helping
> you out.

Sure.

The only question is managing the locales and the package set within the
live cd size. It approximately holds about 2 GB of content, compressed.
  If you fit the above + any one locale into a live cd, the others
should be doable with minimal changes.

You need a Fedora 10 system as host with SELinux in permissive mode.

As far as customization is concerned, i have used revisor, and
> am comfortable with kickstart files. I have never tried to create
> LiveCD's. Else will try to fit kickstart file in normal DVD's only and
> let you know of final status. In case you have some plan or suggestion's
> let me know.
> I am also available with nick 'baali' on #fedora-india channel.

We had a chat on IRC as well. This is just a followup so folks here are
aware.

Rahul