[fedora-india] no meetings happening consistently for months now.

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sun Dec 14 20:17:16 UTC 2008

Dhaval Giani wrote:
> Rakesh Pandit wrote:
>> Hello list, Was there any meeting today ? We were supposed to have one
>> today at 6:30 pm ?
>>

> Hi Rakesh,
>
> I am curious. Are these meetings useful? Do you gain anything out of
> them? What is the aim of fedora-india?

The aim of Fedora India as a group is build and grow the community of
contributors to Fedora and FOSS in India. The meetings have been useful
for a number of things

* To keep track of what each other is doing and help out when we can.
Getting started with a new project or cross reviewing each other's
packages for example

* Help organize events

* To have IRC classes or workshops to teach and work on something - be
it getting started or a new project like say review-o-matic,  packaging,
participating in some new tool development or something else related to
the project

Without meetings, I don't know what the exact status of projects like
review-o-matic. Has it been proposed as a Fedora 11 feature yet? It
hasn't been working out as well it used to, primarily because I, for
various reasons couldn't continue to lead the meetings and others
haven't filled the gap either (my bad, since it wasn't discussed as much
as it could have been).

If anyone following along is interested, there are fairly simple things
to lead a meeting.

  * Keep track of things related to Fedora ( new projects, free software
events, L10N efforts etc) and contributors in this team are doing and
try to help out and clarify things when you can. Report them in the
meeting.

  * See if you can find interesting new things you can get others
involved in and talk about that.

  * Set agenda each week and announce that in advance. Send reminders
when necessary

  * Post meeting mins and summaries when it is done (others can help out
in this)

Let me know if any of this makes sense and if you want to help. On the
other hand, if others don't find it as useful, we can just continue
using the mailing lists for real work and occasional IRC chats for
getting help and social banter.

Rahul