[Fedora-India] Hackathon help..

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Tue Dec 23 13:28:40 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-23 at 18:49 +0530, Debarshi Ray wrote:
> > people to the idea of Application Development.. Since it is the first
> > time, it will probably just be us changing a few things in some app to
> > show people how and what can be done..
> >
> > We are holding a workshop on Python before the open week..
> >
> > so, Can someone please suggest a simple application written in
> > Python that we could use in the hackathon.. We need the simplest
> > possible
>
> Instead of tinkering with existing (and mature) applications, you
> could consider learning the technologies themselves. eg., you can have
> workshops on learning the techniques of GUI programming. You already
> have a Python workshop. Add to it some sessions on Gtk+ (or PyGtk?),
> Glade, etc.. Some time with GDB, Valgrind and Strace, which are common
> across most kinds of programming would also be good.
>
> Good luck,
> Debarshi

hi,

We did think of that.. Im afraid the "level of programming etc", if i
may refer to is as.. is not enough in MIT Manipal (sadly) to start them
on the GTK+ etc.. There are only a limited number of people using linux
here.. Even we ourselves are still learning these.. It is because of
this that we are first holding a hackathon to atleast familiarize people
with how its done.. People will read the existing codes.. Learn from
there.. See programming style.. etc..

The workshop etc is purely intended for the college students.. Outside
participation is almost nil..

I hope our chain of though makes sense.. The main stream application
development workshops will be held at a later stage when a certain
minimum amount of interest is observed..

regards,

Ankur