The Fedora Community in India - plans and proposals

Debarshi Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Wed May 21 05:05:27 UTC 2008

>> I would have expected the Fedora (or the larger free software)
>> community to somehow convince NIT-H that allowing CVS/GIT/IRC/SSH/SVN
>> connections to outside servers is a good thing and not an evil one.

> Hmm... and now that you have brought it up, what would be a convincing
> argument to get them convinced ?

Once a particular university/institute gets to know about the
community through all the events that we had been talking about, it is
easier to make them see the benefits of CVS/GIT/IRC/SSH/SVN Add to
that the issue of those being critical components for a student to do
an internship/project/GSoC.

Usually the establishment is more keen to listen and reason when the
arguments are put forward by the companies/projects than by their own
students. Sad, but that is often how it is.

The whole sordid episode was replayed this year when one more student
from NIT-H made it into GSoC under Fedora:
http://code.google.com/soc/2008/fedora/appinfo.html?csaid=58FD27FF194214DD

Remember NIT-H and BESU (hobnobs with NRC-FOSS :-/) are the places
where I have _seen_ this happen. My ears tell me that the problem
is/was there in IIM Bangalore and IIT Kharagpur as well.

Cheers,
Debarshi
--
"From what we get, we can make a living; what we give, however, makes a life."
 -- Arthur Ashe