F9, FreeMedia and questions around it

Fri May 23 01:19:09 UTC 2008

susmit shannigrahi wrote:

>> [1] ensuring that every request gets a media
>
> This can be done with a much reasonable cost by creating hierarchical
> point of contacts.

And this is where your List of Contacts page comes in handy. Now, the
next step would be to figure out how the request fulfillment is being
tracked.

>> [2] getting the initial media set to those who are participating in the
>> FreeMedia program so as to enable them to reach out to the requests
>
> Easy, the media is available at least 4-5 days before release. So
> produce them in small quantity and ship them to the contributors,
> using speed post or couriour. So they will receive before release and
> can use them as a master copy. That would require max 50 INR for each
> shipment (both i386 and x86_64 included).

So, does anyone need this to be done for F9 or do we make this as a
MUST_DO for F10 ?

>> If, [1] is the need of the day, we would try to get a substantial number of
>> LiveMedia created and shipped to a select few folks based on the trends of
>> FreeMedia requests. Besides getting them to MirrorManagers in India.
>
> Let both [1] & [2] continue.
> We accept a fixed number of free requests, say 50 each month for if
> someone really need them.

In the light of this answer, the other way out is to foot the bill for a
select quantity of CDs per list of contact which means we can take out
the costs incurred in postage.

> But keeping [1] alive is recommended because if someone is new to
> fedora and  _suspicious_ about how good is it, but wants to try it
> out, he/she generally would be more interested in a FreeMedia rather
> than spending for it.

Agreed. Somewhere before the end of the year and around F10 I think we
will have the monies to look at branded LiveUSBs. Let's see.

> According to me, a reasonable number, (fixed after discussion, may be
> anything between 2000-5000) of media produced for each release.

There is an invariant cost involved in creating the master media and
that is around the region of 10,000 INR. The volume of the media
generated from the master brings down the per unit price to somewhat
reasonable levels of ~10 INR per unit.

I can get done a 3000 unit run of F9 LiveMedia to be made available to
the List of Contacts. The consumption of the LiveMedia needs to be tracked.