[fedora-india] Regarding server management

susmit shannigrahi thinklinux.ssh at gmail.com
Mon Oct 13 14:10:13 UTC 2008

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Shambo Bose <shambo.linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently got a offer from a local ISP . They want me to build and maintain
> a low cost linux server which will manage and distribute bandwidth as per
> client package or scheme. Moreover it will keep details about bandwidth used
> by clients, online time, download and upload details etc. The ISP is using a
> 8mbps connection as input.
> How can I accomplish this job?  Currently I am trying Squid to distribute
> the bandwidth. But I dont want to use a proxy server.
[fedora-india] Regarding server management

	Inbox		X

Reply to all
Reply by chat
Filter messages like this
Print
Add to Contacts list
Report phishing
Report not phishing
Show in fixed width font
Show in variable width font
Message text garbled?
Why is this spam/nonspam?
Shambo Bose
 to fedora-india

show details Oct 6 (7 days ago)

Hi,

I recently got a offer from a local ISP . They want me to build and
maintain a low cost linux server which will manage and distribute
bandwidth as per client package or scheme. Moreover it will keep
details about bandwidth used by clients, online time, download and
upload details etc. The ISP is using a 8mbps connection as input.
How can I accomplish this job?  Currently I am trying Squid to
distribute the bandwidth. But I dont want to use a proxy server.

I need some valuable help as this is my first linux server management job.

Please help me.

Yours sincerely

Shambo Bose.

Reply to all

Kulbir Saini
 to Shambo, fedora-india

show details Oct 6 (7 days ago)

Hi!

Shambo Bose wrote:

    Hi,

    I recently got a offer from a local ISP . They want me to build
and maintain a low cost linux server which will manage and distribute
bandwidth as per client package or scheme. Moreover it will keep
details about bandwidth used by clients, online time, download and
upload details etc. The ISP is using a 8mbps connection as input.
    How can I accomplish this job? Currently I am trying Squid to
distribute the bandwidth. But I dont want to use a proxy server.

 I think squid in transparent mode is what you need. Check this
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-setup-transparent-proxy-squid-howto.html
.

    I need some valuable help as this is my first linux server management job.

    Please help me.

    Yours sincerely

    Shambo Bose.

    dangerous content by *MailScanner* <http://www.mailscanner.info/>, and is
    believed to be clean.

-- ---------------------------------------------------
Thank you,
Kulbir Saini,
Computer Science and Engineering,
International Institute of Information Technology,
Hyderbad, India - 500032.

My Home-Page: http://saini.co.in/
My Web-Blog: http://fedora.co.in/

IRC nick : generalBordeaux
Channels : #fedora, #fedora-devel, #yum on freenode

believed to be clean.

Reply to all

Sameep
 to fedora-india

show details Oct 6 (7 days ago)

>I recently got a offer from a local ISP . They want me to build and maintain a low cost linux server which will manage and distribute bandwidth as per client package or scheme. Moreover it will >keep details about bandwidth used by clients, online time, download and upload details etc. The ISP is using a 8mbps connection as input.
>How can I accomplish this job?  Currently I am trying Squid to distribute the bandwidth. But I dont want to use a proxy server.

Why don't you use a router?

Regards,

Sameep

Reply to all

	Your message has been sent.

Susmit
 to Shambo, fedora-india

show details 7:39 PM (0 minutes ago)

	from	Susmit <susmit.shannigrahi at gmail.com>
to	Shambo Bose <shambo.linux at gmail.com>
cc	fedora-india at redhat.com
date	Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 7:39 PM
subject	Re: [fedora-india] Regarding server management
mailed-by	gmail.com

hide details 7:39 PM (0 minutes ago)

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 2:35 PM, Shambo Bose <shambo.linux at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recently got a offer from a local ISP . They want me to build and maintain
> a low cost linux server which will manage and distribute bandwidth as per
> client package or scheme. Moreover it will keep details about bandwidth used
> by clients, online time, download and upload details etc. The ISP is using a
> 8mbps connection as input.
> How can I accomplish this job?  Currently I am trying Squid to distribute
> the bandwidth. But I dont want to use a proxy server.
>
> I need some valuable help as this is my first linux server management job.
>
> Please help me.

How about using tc and iptables?
$man tc

--