[fedora-india] Fedora 11 Networking

Mon Apr 13 23:29:02 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 11:10 PM, das <das at randomink.org> wrote:
> For quite some time now I am installing on machines with Rahul
> Sundaram's Xfce Spin on an USB stick. Can rp-pppoe and wvdial be added
> in that spin?

You'd need to prod the particular Spin maintainer for an answer to that :)

> This problem is particularly serious for us who install on a lot of
> new users' systems with MSW already on it. So, in case of broadband
> the modem cannot be configured as router because the windows use part
> is always there.

I could not comprehend the specific part. Windows installations and
modem as router bit ...

And if wvdial is not there what we are going to do in
> case of non-broadband users? My last two installations were on laptops
> connected by bsnl datacard, in tea plantations. So, in those cases F11
> cannot be done?

Ermm... we need to figure a way out around this. There has always been
plenty of software which have been in the repos and, we had been
required to install them on boxes. So, there would be a way around
this. To begin with perhaps, checking if NetworkManager actually
intends to have the 'classic' rp-pppoe functionality (via
u_name/p_word) integrated is a place to start.

Sent from Mumbai, MH, India