[fedora-india] connect internet from terminal: problem

Ashwin Mansinghka ashwin_man at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 26 17:44:40 UTC 2009

das wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 9:16 PM, Ashwin Mansinghka <ashwin_man at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> It does not work in many cases, where the copper pair length is very log
>> or the
>> copper pair quality is bad (ADSL "sync" LED takes longer time to become
>> steady).
>> In such cases the LCP timeout interval has to be increased in the
>> ifcfg-ppp0 file.
>>

> Thanks for that information. In that case I was fortunate enough not
> to face one of these special cases. But, the question is, does that

You are welcome. Apart from Kolkata city and very few cities the average
copper
loop length of BSNL network to its subscribers is always more than 3
kms. and
mostly ranges between 4 to 5 kms. So actually Kolkata and its adjoining
areas is
a special case where the average copper loops are in the order of 2 to 3
kms.

Longer loop length and bad quality loops (multiple joints etc.) requires
the LCP
configuration all the time.
> rule out the 'correct'-ness of the document in question? The
> information you supplied is very important to know, when one is stuck
> in a situation like that, but these are more of an 'addendum' nature,
> than an 'erratum', I presume. :)
Going by the larger numbers where such service is provided all over
India now, this
part on LCP needs to be added. One can easily see the logs and find the LCP
timeout and retry attempts. The document is (named so) targeted at BSNL
broadband
service users with linux / fedora as OS therefore, in my understanding
the correctness of
the document for unsuspecting users requires that the BSNL specific
issues be clearly
and be very much a part of the main document and not pushed to a corner
as an addendum or erratum.

pppoe s/w and the related configuration files were not written keeping
in mind the
BSNL broadband service. But this document is written especially for
using BSNL
broadband service, so this document has to be correct from that
prespective for sure.

with Regards,
ASHWIN

      Now surf faster and smarter ! Check out the new Firefox 3 - Yahoo! Edition http://downloads.yahoo.com/in/firefox/