[fedora-india] Installing language support

das das at randomink.org
Tue Apr 28 01:14:57 UTC 2009

On Sat, Apr 25, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> It is likely that imsettings (there is no specific subpackage for GNOME)
> was a direct dependency for some package you cherry picked. You would
> have to trace the exact steps to figure out which one.

Yesterday I installed F11 on a Lennovo laptop, with an F11 beta DVD.

After the installation was over (with software customization set
'later', no software or repositories added, everything default), I
made a reboot, and logged in, and it was a Gnome, obviously. And the
interesting point is, here iBus was working and I added a Bangla
Probhat keyboard in iBus and on a Gedit window I typed Bangla at ease.

Now I made 'yum -y update' and did a reboot, and still iBus Bangla
Probhat was working.

Now I installed the group XFCE and rebooted and logged in into Xfce,
and iBus did not work, the usual problem, as reported in the bug your
OP quoted.

Now I installed yumex and got into yumex. Searched for the string
'imsetting' and saw that a package named 'imsetting' was installed,
and as expected, another package named 'imsetting-xfce' was there but
it was not installed, as you predicted, which now I did and it worked.

So, there was a default 'imsetting' that was being used by Gnome. So,
it does not matter, if Gnome did not have its own imsetting package.
It was using the system-wide default. And not that any package
selected by mine did make it happen. It happened by default.

And Xfce, even when the system-wide 'imsetting' is installed and
working and the group 'XFCE' is called for install, is not installing
its own version of imsetting. A working system is rendered unworkable
(by 'work' in terms of iBus) by adding Xfce. Do you think it is an
expected behavior of 'groupinstall XFCE'?

What the whole OS is doing on its system default, is getting broken by
installing XFCE, a part added to the whole. Do you consider it as a
bug?

--
দাশ das
http://ddts.randomink.org/