[fedora-india] Mirroring Fedora

Kevin Verma kevinverma at fedoraproject.org
Sun Aug 30 10:07:30 UTC 2009

> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 6:36 PM, Kevin
> Verma<kevinverma at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
>> I'll appreciate if someone can take up a project to make
>> new-mirror-setups more seamless for new takers of private/public
>> mirrors. Perhaps few interactive scripts, cron configurations, sync
>> scripts in a RPM, or if there is one existing already then I'll love
>> to know about it.
>
> Susmit did demonstrate a "mirror-on-a-box" concept around a year back
> with rudimentary scripts setting up a mirror. A larger requirement for
> the mirror is the base set of bits, beyond that it is rsync,
> mirror-manager and, talking with the Infrastructure folks. The
> important requirement is having the will to maintain it for atomicity.

Thanks to Susmit for his great efforts, I'll love to know where can I
read more about "mirror-on-a-box" ?

>> Hopefully that work will also help to convince ISPs in country to
>> setup mirrors (or at-least Intelligent Mirror) within their network
>> for their Internet services users. At the Fedora 12 test day I
>> realized that to increase userbase and QA contribution from within
>> India, its first of all important for us to increase the number of
>> mirrors.
>
> To increase the QA contribution, we need more people doing QA on
> existing release, honing their skills and, moving to rawhide. It is a
> fact of life that contributing to QA on rawhide requires at least
> another machine (to be able to have a single sane and, a single broken
> box) - most students will not be having that. On the other hand, they
> do have computers in their labs and, figuring out a way to have QA jam
> sessions would help them appreciate and, learn about the OS bits
> better. I have always had hopes that the college installation fests
> would progress to some QA activities too - sadly, all of them seem to
> be very content doing nothing more than installations.

+ 1

Lot of QA work can also be done within Virtual Machine guests but
still fast download resourcing is a critical requirement. So far it
looks that there aren't any mirrors hosting development bits for India
as of now. (http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/12-Alpha/)

~kevin