[fedora-india] Event Report: Free Software Day in KLN, Madurai with Fedora

Arun SAG sagarun at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 02:03:24 UTC 2009

Hi,
 I conducted one day Free software workshop on 29th August, at  KLN madurai
for the pre-final year CSE and IT students (50+). The session started with
an introduction to Free software and philosophy.Then i  explained various
GNU/Linux commands and applications. Mailing list etiquettes were taught
using shakthi's presentation (Thanks shakthi) . Introduced IRC and students
were taught about getting help from various support channels.

In afternoon session, it was all about Nmap , Ncat and Ettercap (FOSS
Network Security tools) , students were taught about  security risks of
transmitting  plain text passwords on the wire, ARP cache poisoning and DNS
spoofing were demonstrated and explained  using ettercap.
Fedora 11 was installed in 30+ Lab machines for hands on. The response from
the students was excellent. Hospitality was good.

Fedora 11 DVDs were distributed to all the participants.

I thank HOD of CSE department,KLN and Final year student Dhivakaran for
organizing this event successfully.

Pictures: http://www.flickr.com/photos/saga123/sets/72157622066191653/

Regards
Arun SAG
--
A computer is like air conditioning: it becomes useless when you open
windows.