[fedora-india] FOSS.IN 2009 retrospective

Aanjhan R aanjhan at gmail.com
Sat Dec 12 11:04:11 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 10:42 AM, Aanjhan R <aanjhan at gmail.com> wrote:
> We must check where each of the current active Fedora contributors
> started off? Just a short 2 sentence "What was the first thing you did
> for Fedora? and why? "
>
> IMO, we should be able to observe some sort of pattern and try putting
> forward similar entry points somewhere on the wiki or work on such
> points during FADs.

As I was cleaning my room, this flash appeared and I pen it down here.
May not make much sense but worth going on records :)

1. Important tasks of being involved with a distribution (Packaging /
Documentation / Testing / Artwork)
2. Out of the above tasks you show to a new comer, which one do you
think would excite him/her the most? IMO nothing gives the adrenalin
rush to immediately sit down and start hacking. (No. I am not saying
the above are brain dead things. I do understand the difficulties of
packaging tex ;) )
3. Consider a project like ; say Lekhonee. I feel it is much much
easier to get people excited to contributing to such "upstream"
projects than to the distro specific tasks. IMO, other than Lekhonee
being hosted on fedorahosted.org and having core devs from Redhat it
has *nothing* specific for Fedora. So I think showing a pathway , a
top-down contribution pathway to the folks might help getting more
people into the contribution mould? (where top = upstream)

End of my ramblings.

Regards,
Aanjhan