[fedora-india] Fedora - India meet logs

Wed Dec 23 09:45:18 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 1:56 PM, Shakthi Kannan <shakthimaan at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. It will be nice if we could have a backlog items that fedora-india
> packagers are currently reviewing or is in the pipeline. This could be
> sent to this mailing list periodically so we can see who needs help,
> and it can also be discussed during our regular IRC meet-ups.

How can this report generation be done for the first time and,
automated thence forth ?

> Scrum [1] is nice in this regard, when you have an overall product
> backlog, and the packagers and sponsors can decide on the sprint
> backlog, and that they will deliver this package within the sprint
> timeframe, so there is a commitment from every side.
>
> 2. I understand Sponsors are limited in number, while the list of
> packages is huge. It will be helpful if Sponsors can spend atleast 20%
> of their package reviews with newcomers to packaging.

Do we have lesser number of contributors who are permitted to
undertake official/unofficial reviews ? Or, is it a function of such
people not undertaking them often enough ?

> 3. Spins are ideal for newcomers because the Sponsors have a very
> focussed approach to which packages they need, and when newcomers pick
> them up, there is a win-win situation for both. Also their backlog
> (FEL, for example) is very well "Trac"ked. I am not sure if SIGs have
> something like this, and I believe this is usually left to a Sponsor
> to review the package, depending on time and availability. If review
> doesn't happen, newcomers lose interest.

I'd agree. However, a quick and trivial trawl of the packages under
review or, packages reviewed tell me that the trend is more across
special niches. Do you think that is not the way to go forward ?

> 4. People who regularly do packaging already feel that their
> contribution is useful. But, for newcomers, it is important to
> periodically see how well they are doing, are there any impediments,
> where do they need help (not to be read as hand holding or
> spoon-feeding) but to make sure that they *belong* to the project. It
> will help them go a long way!

How can we make the newcomers feel that they are being welcome and,
provide them with the feedback loop that makes them sustaining
contributors ?

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog>