[Fedora-India] dekstop-file-utils

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Wed Jul 8 15:35:26 UTC 2009

On 07/08/2009 07:43 PM, Ankur Sinha wrote:

> Can somebody please tell me what update-desktop-database is responsible
> for? As much in detail as possible please? More info on the other two
> apps (desktop-file-validate/install) would also be great.

update-desktop-database maps the MIME type to the particular desktop
file (ie) associates a particular type of file to a specific application
which is used by the desktop environment.  validate checks the syntax
and install puts them under /usr/share/applications in a way that the
desktop environment can read it to build its application menu.

Rahul