[fedora-india] National Institute of Technology workshop report

Tue Mar 24 13:48:35 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 7:04 PM, Debayan Banerjee <debayanin at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/3/24 Rakesh Pandit <rakesh.pandit at gmail.com>:
>> I would suggest to wait a month or so ... we need to check whether we
>> really get some results.
>
> >From the few contributors we have here none are really class toppers
> or high CGPA students. Infact the ones that contribute here hardly
> ever go to college to attend a class. Leaving the selection of the
> super-16 to the college admin may not have been the best way to go
> about it since they would select CGPA wise, but from your report it
> seems they still selected 16 bright people since they assimilated
> whatever you taught them very well.

>From what I know, the angels conspired to select the 16 the trainers
wanted. It can so happen that the angels won't conspire again at other
places. However, allowing the college to select the participants
serves one big purpose : buy-in.

If you look closely enough, a clear lack that is happening is that of
a group of motivated teachers who 'get it' and, have the charisma
along with personal involvement to mentor the students into FOSS. It
might so happen that there are teachers on this list who are already
doing that. And, if they are here, I'd love to have them speak up so
that we can start going to more institutions.

Sent from: Calcutta WB India.