[fedora-india] National Institute of Technology workshop report

Debarshi Ray debarshi.ray at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 14:07:02 UTC 2009

> | The main aim was to select and give training only to those people who
> | have some sort of experience with programming and good aptitude.
> \--
>
> What you need to test is "attitude".

... which is hard to convey to the teachers making the selection.

> You were probably just lucky.

Yes, very much.

> I would like to emphasize that this may or may not be the case in
> every Institute. In future, please let the sessions be open to all,
> and let the students, whoever is interested, join the lab, mailing
> list, IRC discussions.

This is where things get tricky. Of course we were circumspect and
conservative given the fact that this was a almost a revolutionary
thing that was being tried out at NIT Hamirpur. We did not want to
bite more than what we could chew, and we hardly knew what the
appetite was. :-)

On a slightly serious note, we were more eager to address the issue of
freshly graduated computer science engineers being little more than
advanced users. The idea of allowing the Electronics & Communication
students was merely to make it slightly more inclusive.

> Nothing can/should prevent anyone from contributing or working with
> Fedora.

In the official documents, we had replaced all the trademarks and
proper nouns with generic computer science terms to minimise any
political obstructions. Since it becomes a bit difficult to say
"students from any department can contribute to the development of a
world-class operating system and its applications" without revealing
our free software 'conspiracy' we chose to downplay this aspect.

Cheers,
Debarshi