[fedora-india] How many ...

das dasd.here at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 05:32:16 UTC 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 6:48 PM, Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay
<foss.mailinglists at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 1:23 PM, Sri Ramadoss M <shriramadhas at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another clarification,
>>
>> How many have sent Indic text for printing to dotmatrix printers and tested?
>>
>> Is it supported? Any idea? Any work towards that?
>
> I put dipankar das in cc: He has the distinction of using Fedora and
> Bengali to produce a voluminous corpus of Bengali text and, he has/had
> a DMP. Probably he can provide inputs for bn_IN
>
> Unfortunately, I don't have a DMP handy at this point to test this
> out, but probably this is a nice test plan to be included should we
> end up doing a L10n QA sprint.

Unfortunately I don't have any DMP too for quite some time, that is, a
little less than two years. But while I had this Epson printer I took
print from all the character processors, like OOo Write, Abiword,
KWrite, and Gedit, all those with which I handled Bangla text. The
experience with Abiword was the best. But, I saw, in many cases, first
printing the text to a file in .ps (and then pstopdf it) or .pdf
directly (if it is allowed) made the printing seamless. But, two years
back, and before that say two years more, from when I was continuing
to use SuSE 8.2, so, actually around four years back, things were much
less efficient than now. Now in Fedora 10, I am using HP LJ 1007, and
I don't even have to think what software or script I am using when
taking the print. Bangla support (I can't say anything about other
Indic ones) in Fedora 10 is exquisite, to say the least. And so taking
DMP prints would be much more easier obviously.

Thank you all.

PS: I am subscribed to this list already, and so the other id was not
needed, but I was so late to respond because due to other engagements
for three whole days I did not read the mailing lists. Sorry. :(

--
das
ddts.randomink.org