[fedora-india] Packaging RPM presentation

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at gmail.com
Sun May 10 15:04:33 UTC 2009

Hi,

--- On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 7:10 PM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
| License field is shortened and includes the version number, atleast in
| the Fedora Packaging guidelines ex: GPLv2+
\--

Updated.

---
| You shouldn't need to pass --clean explicitly. Instead the spec file
| should have a clean section
\--

Ok. The .spec file has one. I put it so that people know there is a
automatic clean option. In subsequent slides, I have highlighted the
cleaning that takes place in the output.

---
| rpmls (part of rpmdevtools) can list packages
\--

Now the slide uses rpmls.

---
| Also, I prefer yum install <path/to/rpm> --nogpgcheck install of using
| rpm directly just in case that the rpm has additional dependencies.
\--

Updated.

---
| Also, I recommend users always create a separate user just for building
| packages and then use mock (recommended)
\--

Updated in a new 'Notes' slide.

---
| Also koji (the build system used by Fedora) has a
| client which can be used for creating scratch builds.
\--

Have now provided link to Koji documentation.

---
| # yum install fedora-packager (meta package that pulls in the usual
| required tools)
\--

Updated. Have also mentioned about "# %foo" in the Notes slide. Please
use version 1.1. Thanks for your feedback.

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan
http://www.shakthimaan.com