[Fedora-India] Spread Fedora a little more??

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Mon May 18 23:11:24 UTC 2009

On 05/19/2009 01:30 AM, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> hi,
>
> I just read Rahul's post on the marketing list regarding OLPC going all
> Fedora[1]. I was just wondering if we Ambassadors from India could have
> an IRC session to discuss the spreading of Fedora in schools etc.
> locally around us ? We've discussed free media and local contact
> programmes and how to implement them efficiently, which covers providing
> media to people who are *already aware* of Fedora, usually people from
> college onwards. We've never really chalked up a plan to implement
> anything at a level younger/ less aware than that, and now that we have
> people working on how to make it usable by kids, why not use it?
> Everyone talks about taking Linux to kids ( what is referred to as grass
> root level ). Why shouldn't take initiative? A meeting to discuss
> possibilities would be a sort of a start??

I am not sure how many people are interested in a IRC meeting but if you
are targeting colleges or schools, you can focus on material around

* LTSP -  Make use of old hardware typical in education institutions
instead of throwing them away. LTSP is well integrated into Fedora now
and is already used in many places including schools. A guide for
implementers and sys admins would be useful here. Someone more familiar
with LTSP should be doing this.

* Spins - Fedora Electronics Lab and Fedora Education Math are rather
unique efforts and shows the flexibility of Fedora and Free software.
FEL promo material is at http://chitlesh.fedorapeople.org/FEL/

It would be good to find out what software is included in the "kids"
oriented distributions (freeduc, skolelinux, foresight for kids etc),
and see if anything is missing in Fedora and package them up. Also even
if they are already packaged, documentation can be improved.

Rahul