[fedora-india] IBM and the indian debacle

Dipanjan Chakraborty dipanjan4foss at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 16:47:56 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 22, 2009 at 5:49 PM, anirudh singh shekhawat <
shekhawat.anirudh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Everyone feared IBM in the good old days, when guys in black suits and tie
> would either make you go out of business or buy you off the hook. IBM guys
> were considered evil big brothers, who were ruthless and sung company songs.
> So anyways IBM seemed to have changed quite a lot in recent years and we all
> know its open support towards free and open source mentality, and anyways I
> am here to talk about what is it doing right now which actually violates
> that very philosophy.
>
> There is a very popular competition which IBM runs in india called TGMC
> (The great mind challenge) [1] for students. Well that is all good but the
> tricky part comes here. IBM only accepts projects made using its technology
> i.e. the tools which only IBM provides to the educational institute you are
> in and yes, they dont give these tools to individuals, they can only be
> acquired once your institute is in the program and it so happens that IBM
> after sending its big boys to your institute and, your college will soon
> will make it compulsory for everyone in the final year to make their major
> projects for IBM, and my college is one of them and we are stuck with making
> our major projects in TGMC if we want or not.

Yes, TGMC is quite popular. They arrived in our college too (thankfully our
authorities do not encourage database based projects and didn't fall for it)

> The tools to be used are : Rational Rose/RSA
> RAD/Eclipse/WSAD/ WebSphere Portal
> WAS/WAS CE
> DB2 Express – ‘C’ or DB2 UDB

Is it wrong for them to do so? The only reason they are doing this is to
popularise their products and make students acquainted with them.

> and as it seems that you cant do this project without IBM's help. But what
> is more important are the Terms and Conditions, what it has imposed on all
> student developers working on it, here is an interesting one :-
>
> "By submitting entries, entrant grants IBM and their agents of the program
> the right to publish, use, adapt, sell, edit and/or modify such entry in any
> way, in commerce and in any and all media worldwide, including but not
> limited to the Internet, without limitation and without compensation to the
> entrants. Entrant also grants IBM worldwide irrevocable, nonexclusive and
> royalty-free right and license to use, have used, copy, reproduce, transfer,
> modify and/or display any information contained in their entry in whole or
> part and in any form without compensation." for a complete set of Terms and
> Conditions [2]

Well, there are lots of other organisations who have similar terms. If one
happens to send in entries to a writing contest of some sort, one will face
similar conditions. Is it not violating intellectual property rights?

>  Woah!! So that means you dont own your work, it just does not belong to
> you. I wonder what is this giant teaching young students on this country.
> And what is this policy where, on one hand its promoting open source and on
> the other its doing this.

And this is not limited to my college alone, I know a lot many college in
> jaipur, rajasthan, india which have fallen for this and have made it
> mandatory for their students to work on it.
>
> [1]  http://tgmc.in
>
> [2] https://tgmc.in/terms_conditions.php?id=8
>
> regards
> Acedip