[fedora-india] Linux in govt. offices

susmit shannigrahi thinklinux.ssh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 13:56:43 UTC 2009

> Hi,
> I'm back home in Dehradun for my month long end semester holidays. The
> government offices here have been spending 'crores; of rupees on original
> Windows XP and Norton anti-virus for the thousands of computers in the
> government offices all over the state. It seems they got weary of that.
> There was a report in the local newspapers yesterday that they have decided
> to switch to Linux in all offices. The switch hasn't started yet and they
> haven't contacted any company or person to help them do so. My father being
> a govt. officer, I can try and contact the officials responsible for this
> and  put up a presentation on Linux(Specific to Fedora off course). What do
> you think?

That would be splendid if you manage to do it.

However, it would be nice to know for what purpose they are going to
use it for? Desktop or both Desktop/Server? Fedora will be fine as
Desktop while CentOS should be preferred for the server if they don't
want to upgrade their servers every year.

Let us know how we can help and thanks for doing this.

> PS.  Should I forward this mail  to the ambassadors list too?

At this point, that may be a bit premature but it is your call.

--
Regards,
Susmit.