[fedora-india] A report on FOSS GN 09 event at Engineering College Bikaner(Rajasthan)

shreekant bohra skbohra123 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 19:56:21 UTC 2009

Hi Sankarshan,

Yes, we too are excited about it, what next ? After the FOSS event the
awareness about FOSS has increased exponentially in our college. More and
more students are turning towards FOSS. We setup a LUG on the closing day
and 100 students have registered themselves as the member. As a part of LUG
we have organized 3 fedora installfest after the event , in different
hostels of the college, one of the installfest was organized in Girls
hostel, managed totally by girls,  member of LUG.  Our Next step is to turn
people towards development, and convert them into contributors, for this we
are soon going to organize workshops and start small open source projects in
which students can take part.

Good thing is that we got a great start and we are excited about it, in the
next step we are setting up website for the lug, so that it can be a central
place for all our activities, we already have started an irc channel #lugb(
freenode) where we do open discussion.

As a effect of FOSS GN 09, some of the participants from other colleges
around Bikaner , are also organizing FOSS events and we are helping them out
in spreading the FOSS love, Govt Engineering College Jhalawar, Jodhpur
Engineering College and Research Centre and Jodhpur Institute of Engineering
and Technology students have contacted us and are planning FOSS event.

So we have just ignited the FOSS Fire and determined convert it into big
flame, Hail FOSS.
As a side note, around 20 members of LUGB are attending FOSS.IN event at
Bangalore , the event will surely help them understand FOSS more closely.

A first step towards a wonderful journey.

Cheers

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 5:24 PM, sankarshan <sankarshan at fedoraproject.org>wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 12:47 PM, shreekant bohra <skbohra123 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > I am Shree Kant Bohra, a member of the team which organized a four day
> FOSS
> > event at Engineerng College Bikaner during 28-31st October 2009. I would
> > like to thank Fedora India Community for providing guidance and goodies
> for
> > the event and in particular I would like to thank Rahul Sundaram,
> Sankarsan
> > and Susmit who despite of lack of proper pre planning of the event
> managed
> > to provide us with total support. We had talk on F12 features, SELinux
> and a
> > Fedora Installfest during the FOSS event. We have compiled a report of
> the
> > event and would like to share it with others.
>
> Thank you for the report. It would be interesting to learn about what
> are the plans for the future and, whether post the event we would be
> able to observe an increase in the number of participants from your
> institute to Free and Open Source Software.
>
> In short, what's next ?
>

> --
> sankarshan mukhopadhyay
> <http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog>