[fedora-india] Re: [in the news] Users howl as Fedora 12 gives root to unwashed masses

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Fri Nov 20 05:04:14 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-11-19 at 23:43 -0500, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 20, 2009 at 07:24:44AM +0530, susmit shannigrahi wrote:
> > "Fedora users are revolting against a change introduced in the latest
> > version of the operating system that allows the installation of
> > thousands of software titles without an administrative password.
> >
> > Critics say the move diminishes the security of machines running the
> > open-source OS by giving unprivileged users what amounts to
> > administrative control. That could allow lower-level employees to
> > install software that's not been approved by administrators, or worse,
> > to gain root access by installing an application with a known security
> > vulnerability and then intentionally exploiting it."
> >

> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/19/fedora_12_root_imbroglio/
>
> There's already an update in progress:
>
> https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-announce-list/2009-November/msg00012.html

<snip>

hey,

I think the update in progress needs to be ..uhm.. "propagated" more.
Not a lot of folks (I also mean users who only heard of the drama via
dents etc and nothing more) are aware of it.

My bit:

http://dodoincfedora.wordpress.com/2009/11/20/fedora-packagekit-change/

http://digg.com/d31AYzF

regards,