[fedora-india] Association with a startup in Bangalore

Joerg Simon jsimon at fedoraproject.org
Mon Oct 19 10:18:31 UTC 2009

On Sunday 18 October 2009 18:48:25 Rangeen Basu wrote:
> Hi
> One startup in Bangalore wants to run all their computers (around 20)
> on Fedora and requires installation, configration and network setup
> support. Is there anyone in Bangalore with proper knowledge of
> configuring servers and a linux network? I might use the help. I can
> easily take care of the installation and basic configuration part but
> regarding server setup, I am not really an expert..

I am absolutely sure that there are people who can/will do this very easily.
Even me, as not the deepest technical person would be able to do this without
any preparation. So i think this can be done by our contributors in Bangalore
and around.

Btw. i would not use Fedora for Servers. Nobody will upgrade Servers every 13
month - and the argument they(startup company) do not care about security, is
maybe good for them, but it is not good for Fedora when a old Fedora Server is
abused - for the press still a Fedora System is abused.
The Company should use CentOS for their servers it's the same family.

But! I do not think we should help a business without get something back.
Here in Europe we call that Community Consulting where we enable companies to
work with and on Fedora - and there is the Fedora EMEA e.V. as legal entity -
non profit organisation - where you can spend donations for Fedora. We use this
money for events, fad, fudcon, swag. We can save some RedHat Money and  we
report all that to the Fedora Board.

I know that things are different in India and maybe the law does not allow
moneyflow to a private contributor, but maybe it is possible that the startup
Company helps as a Fedora Contributor, as example - provides proper
accomodation for Fedora Contributors for Meet up's like foss.in or provides
SWAG or Booth Material or simply code ;)

cu Joerg

--
Joerg (kital) Simon
jsimon at fedoraproject.org
http://kitall.blogspot.com
Key Fingerprint:
3691 0989 2DCA 58A2 8D1F 2CAC C823 558E 5B5B 5688