[fedora-india] Install Fest @ MIT manipal

Ankur Sinha sanjay.ankur at gmail.com
Thu Sep 17 19:02:57 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-09-18 at 00:21 +0530, Aditya Patawari wrote:
> A few days back we had an install fest in my college. We also had the
> same concerns. There is no need to provide repo to 120 people all at
> once since install DVD has *enough* packages. You can show them how to
> install on one laptop and then they can do it themselves later on.
> Supporting 120 people might result in a crashed server.

Why we need local repos: To make the systems usable.

As I already mentioned, the college intranet's too bad to even try
installing the multimedia etc over it.

These packages are the ones that fedora doesnt include in the dvd. (the
not open source stuff). They happen to be sort of necessary to show
newbies that linux has what windows does, only much better.

Also, since they've been given windows vista and 7, the partitioning
requires "special skills". We really can't expect them to do it all on
their own. We walk them through the entire process. Takes a while, but
it gets everyone happily working on a fedora system.

> Best way of providing repo : just get a computer from your college
> authorities (don't use a laptop) and create a local repo there. We
> have done the same here and it is working just fine.

Sadly, all they'll give us is a room with a projector in it.

> To get DVDs from fedora, you have to file a ticket on fedorahosted. I
> am not sure of the exact link.

Thanks, I'll look into it.

--
regards,