[fedora-india] Upgrading gcc from source on Fedora / RHEL

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 05:23:56 UTC 2010

Hi,

--- On Sat, Jan 9, 2010 at 7:40 AM, Syam Krishnan <syamcr at gmail.com> wrote:
| Is it possible to upgrade gcc on an older Fedora (F6, for example) or RHEL
| 5 system by compiling it from sources?
\--

You can. If the dependency packages are compatible with the gcc you
are upgrading you can re-use them, or you will need to re-compile the
dependency packages themselves.

---
| My doubt is whether it will
| automatically replace with "glibc"
\--

Replace? Whatever is installed on your system doesn't change unless
you uninstall the packages. You can have multiple versions of a
package installed in /usr/local, for example.

---
| Or don't I need to bother about glibc at all?
| Somebody hinted that "binutils" will also need to be rebuilt with the new
| gcc. Is that true?
\--

When building a gcc compiler, there are dependency packages. The
development/release cycle of these dependent packages is independent
of each other. So, not all releases will be able to produce a compiler
for you.

See Dan Kegel's matrix (for building cross-compilers), for example:

  http://kegel.com/crosstool/crosstool-0.43/buildlogs/

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan