[Fedora-infrastructure-list] Infrastructure Package Management

seth vidal skvidal at linux.duke.edu
Thu Aug 24 23:40:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 16:01 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> So in the meeting today we've discussed what to do about our package
> management.  At present FC3 will be EOL'd in april(ish).  At that time
> many of the packages we use in our environment will become out of
> date.  So options are an upgrade to RHEL5 when it is released (which
> we aren't even done upgrading everything to RHEL4 yet), building and
> supporting our own repo, or try to foster support for centos.karan.org
> or https://extras.108.redhat.com/
>
> As always this is an open discussion, I'd encourage anyone with ideas
> to participate.  The meeting notes will be out shortly.

1. how many packages do we use? (yum list extras should help with that)

2. are the newer versions of those packages in fc5 not workable for us?

3. If fedora extras cvs started making it possible for us to build and
release RHEL/Centos 4 packages is anyone interested in helping maintain
a branch for that distro?

-sv