Package DB Schema v3

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 00:21:22 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-12-07 at 00:00 +0100, Karel Zak wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 06, 2006 at 11:19:29AM -0800, Toshio Kuratomi wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 09:19 -0500, Elliot Lee wrote:
> > > To balance fast indexing/comparison, small storage space, and room
> > > for expansion, it's often easier to use INTEGER for these type of
> > > columns, and then assign meaning to those values elsewhere (either
> > > through a separate table that translates values to strings, or by
> > > #define-like constants in the source code).
> > >
> > I think we'll do this with INTEGER and a separate table because Jeffrey
> > Ollie's proposal to allow translations to the status codes makes sense.
>
>  It depends on number of status codes. You can use 1 or 2 chars as a
>  primary key for status table (instead integers). It's better for
>  humans, because simple selects (without join to status table) are
>  still readable.

Somewhat.  We have 15 status codes right now.  Even with three letter
abbreviations, you have to have a pretty good idea what the possible
statuses are in order to make use of it in "raw" form.  Here are a few
of the problems:
+ 7 of the statuses begin with "a"
+ Many of our statuses are two words
+ We have status's like "Under Review" and "Awaiting Review" which
prevents simplifying to a mnemonic for the most significant word.

Not sure that it's worthwhile to try to make these status codes directly
human readable or not.

-Toshio