[Fedora-infrastructure-list] Database for Account System 2

Elliot Lee sopwith at redhat.com
Mon Jul 17 06:25:22 UTC 2006

On Jul 15, 2006, at 23:34, Patrick W. Barnes wrote:

> I would love to see an LDAP+SQL solution that gives us a familiar
> SQL backend
> with an LDAP client interface.

What does an LDAP client interface consist of, and why's it important?

Y'all gotta know two things:

	- I don't see an implementation on LDAP producing all this happy fun
synergy people are imagining. AFAIK, the existing LDAP admin tools
are going to be as useful/useless as phpmysql, the moment you show
them a schema (such as the one we need) that differs from the
standard POSIX account schema for LDAP. The existing admin tools
can't fathom things like enforcing sponsorship requirements. Ergo,
they aren't going to provide any benefits in our situation.

	- The person who writes the new account system code will wind up
being the one who really makes the decision. So if you want stuff to
happen your way, start writing code and proving me wrong! :)

Best,
-- Elliot