[Fedora-infrastructure-list] Account System Updates

Curt Moore jcmoore at nuvio.com
Fri Jun 23 14:41:50 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 08:34 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
> Aurelien Bompard wrote:
> >> P.S. joe^, if you're around, I didn't mean to exclude you from this
> >> process. We did miss you at today's meeting, and everyone who
> pitches
> >> in is welcome :)
> >>

> > I'm pitching in ! :)
> > I read the log, but it's not totally clear to me which framwork will
> be used
> > for the account system. Turbogears ? Cherrypy ? Pure Python/CGI ?
> >
> > Aurélien
> >

> Some of us are still under the opinion that it should have an LDAP
> back
> end.  Any thoughts from the new joiners?
>
>     -Mike

I agree that LDAP would probably be the way to go for the longer term.
While it could be a bit of overkill for now, it has the capability to do
and be used for lots of other things in the future as most apps have,
can be easily adapted to have, an LDAP interface.  Plus, it would likely
save some development time and headaches to use an already known working
system such as LDAP, maybe Fedora Directory?  With that you also get
inherent ability for SSL and other neat stuff.

Having said that, I probably should also say that I'm not an LDAP
expert.  I've wanted to move our internal stuff (other than the MS AD
stuff which is already doing LDAP) over to LDAP for a while just for the
reasons I mentioned above, just never had the time to get around to
doing it.

In summary, my vote would be for LDAP.

-Curt